Here you are, once more, standing in front of a full closet, complaining that you have nothing to wear. You do not need to feel bad about yourself thought. This is a common issue. With so many shops nowadays offering cute clothes in affordable prices we often end up buying a t-shirt or a skirt just because it looks nice and it is cheap. And soon enough we end up with a closet full of “nothing to wear”.
A capsule wardrobe solves this issue once and for all. The basic principle behind it is that you buy your clothes based on combinations of pieces in your mind. For example a neutral coat that goes with everything rather than a bold fashion-statement one, that only goes with your party dress is a wise choice. Buying quality clothes that will last you for years over quantity that will last you just once season (but you will be hesitant to throw them away) is also a must.
Throw away the useless
I will give you a very clear list about this step as well. It is hard, it is painful, but if you want to be well-dressed and get rid of the closet clutter, you have to do it.
- Throw away what you have not worn for a year
- Throw away clothes with faded colors or other visible signs that they are just too old
- Make a pile with clothes with missing buttons, small tears etc. Give yourself two weeks to fix them. Throw away the clothes that you have not fixed within this time frame.
- Get rid of clothes that do not fit. You should have clothes that fit your current size and figure. Holding on to your high school jeans will only make you depressed and clutter your closet.
Congratulations! Now you can see how many clothes you really have! And you do not need to literally throw away the ones you don’t need. Some shops recycle cloths and fabric, some might be good for good will or charity shops and others might be in a good enough condition to sell to a vintage shop.
A color wheel is what you will need at this point. You can find thousands of them on line. Just print one and let’s get started.
- Colors that are next to each other match (yellow and orange-yellow, for example)
- Colors that are at a 90 degrees angle match (think red and blue-violate)
- Color complements (colors that are opposite on the wheel) go well with each other by creating a contrast (green and red, for instance)
- Colors that form a “T” match. This means that you need two colors that are opposite and one that is at a 90 degrees angle with those two (think of blue-green with red-orange and violet)
If you are a smart phone user, you can get an app like Stylebook or Touch Closet that allows you to photograph your clothes and create a mobile closet that you can mix and match. This way you don’t have to take all your clothes down every time, to find the perfect combination.
Buy what you really need
The idea behind a capsule is that all items in each capsule match with each other. You might need 2-3 capsules, depending on your lifestyle. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Work capsule: 2 pencil skirts, 2 tailored trousers, 3 shirts, 3 camisoles, 1 coat in a neutral color, 2 pairs of heels or office-appropriate flats, 2 scarves, 4 pairs of stockings
- Summer holiday capsule: 2 bathing suits, 4 t-shirts, 2 sun dresses, 1 pair of jeans, 2 pairs of shorts, 1 tunic, 1 party dress, 1 pair of sandals, 1 pair of flip flops
- Gym capsule: 2 pairs yoga pants, 4 t-shirts, 2 sports bras, 4 pairs of socks, 1 pair of sneakers, 1 hoodie
Use apps like ShopStyle to find the best clothes online and compare prices. You can also use Lustr Fashion Finder, which uses GPS to track the best deals in retail stores close to you. The Lucky At Your Service app combines the best of both worlds, having both an on-line and retail directory, with a GPS locator function.
Now try and make as many combinations as you can according to the color wheel and the different aspects of your lifestyle. It is a good idea to take pictures of those outfits. Couldn’t find an application you liked? Use a mobile app builder to create your own outfits photo app and choose from it what to wear every day. This will save you enough time to get a few more sips of coffee before work. And that is just priceless.